Featured Post

Pinned Post, A Policy Note:

I have made a decision to keep this blog virus free from this point forward, at least until the smoke clears. This is not a judgement about ...

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Cadence II

Just some fast notes. It's Halloween Night and we gotta give candy to kids!

Apparently I have to read Keith Smith. Got it. Ordering a copy of the relevant one as soon as I am done here, I'm excited!

I can't stop thinking about sequencing in terms of beats, now. Pa-PUM, Pa-PUM, BOOOOOOM.

Leading to inspiration of the day: There's no actual reason not to repeat a photograph, or even a sequence of them, in a book. I don't even remember explicitly thinking this was a no-no, but it literally never occurred to me as a possibility until last night. "Wait, if it's a line of rhythm, I could repeat a photo for that BOOOM effect and it would be effective. Wait, wait, wait, I could repeat entire phrases. And probably should."

2 comments:

  1. A modern master of the deceptively simple, polyrhythmic self-made book is Raymond Meeks, whose work I commend to you, not least as a Sally Mann fan. His website is at www.raymondmeeks.com, though annoyingly I see he's dropped some of his best older work in a recent redesign. His books "The Sound of Summer Running", "A Clearing", and "Doctrine of an Axe" are classics.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to think about that repetition thing - seems like there's something there. I can see it easily in something like a slideshow where the author can control the pace and timing, but my mind is having trouble getting hold of the idea in a book. Though I guess poets and writers do it often enough.

    ReplyDelete